Developer Journal 3/19/2008

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Developer Journal 3/19/2008
    Posted: 19 Mar 2008 at 5:13pm
Development is progressing in full force again after an unanticipated down month.  Today the beta testers confirmed that 0.2.13 fixes the GDI issues at last!  In less than 2 weeks a new public beta (version 0.3) will be available to all pre-order users.  0.3 should rid most of those little annoyances that 0.2 has.  Version 1.0 is on target for sometime in April.

Ever have a song that looks like the first example below?  Ever wish there were a better way to make sense of that mess?  Take a look at the Spectrogram view below it.

Spectrogram will be included in 0.3 as well as some other new features.  The spectrogram displays time in the X axis, frequency (12TET music note) in the y axis, and intensity as color. 

Stay tuned for more 0.3 announcements.

breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2008 at 5:30pm
Would it be too much to ask if you could post a more in depth explanation for dummies that don't understand x axis and y axis. Thank You
Jeff

Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2008 at 7:37pm
This is why my wife will be writing the help file and not me...

Y = vertical (up/down),X= horizontal (left/right). 

There are multiple things that can be done with this information:

1) The obvious: see beats easier
2) Track specific music notes (let's say you want to represent some chimes on the bushes for example).

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 19 Mar 2008 at 7:37pm
Comporder1 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2008 at 9:56pm
THAT LOOKS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I WANT, I WANT, I WANT ;)
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2008 at 10:11am
Just so it makes a bit more sense, here is a shot of it with Wizards in Winter loaded.

breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2008 at 10:10pm
I was wondering if you have considered intergrating something like a paintshop type quality into the drawing part of Aurora. It would be nice to be able to erase or clone the drawings and it would make the designing of the lights a lot faster. It probably uses too much memory right?
Jeff

Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 12:03pm

It's not a memory issue...

It more about prioritization.  The presumption is that for the majority of users, the process of setting up the drawing is a once per year activity.  Once the drawing is set up it can be imported into other sequences when the channels are imported.  The current development priority has been on the day-to-day activities with things like the drawing editor to get more attention later on.

The current drawing editor lacks a lot of necessary functionality.  As you mentioned, it would be nice to be able to copy the drawing from one channel to another (in my case, 6 identically layed out colors on the house), and it would be nice to delete a mistaken line without wiping out the whole channel.  There are plans to expand the drawing editor.  At this point I'm not sure if those plans will fully become a part of 1.0, partially become part of 1.0 and partially 1.1, or if they will entirely be a part of the 1.1 update.
breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2008 at 12:18pm

the once a year thing makes sense, I did not think about that.Once you have your design that is what you stick with so I agree. Thanks

Jeff

Post Reply Post Reply