Just lost two controllers... can't upload firmware

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2009 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by ChrisL1976

you guys got me worried now.  I checked my controllers and lights before the show.  All controllers got discovered but no lights on one full controllers.  Had to unplug it before it would kick the lights back on.  

I had to power cycle these exact same two controllers a couple nights ago because they were dark (it fixed it a couple nights ago).  When I saw it tonight the first thing I did was go to the breaker box figuring they were just due again.  It didn't work tonight and you know the rest of the story that started this post.  That's not what you want to hear I'm sure, but you have reason to worry.
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2009 at 11:02pm
Trying to remember... I believe Firmware Updater v2.2.2 corrected an issue where the header wasn't being read properly.  I tried to find the post on D-Light about it but was unsuccessful.  So I suppose that an update done before v2.2.2 *could* have been corrupted.
~Jonathan
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2009 at 11:15pm
I just checked... the 1.06 downgrade was done with 2.2.0.  Maybe these firmware writes are going out of bounds and corrupting the bootloader?  Nah... that shouldn't be possible.  The bootloader on these things are supposed to protect from that happening.

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 25 Dec 2009 at 11:20pm
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2009 at 11:46pm
It'll be interesting to see Darryl's thoughts on this.  Seems to be happening across the board.
~Jonathan
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 6:19am
Jonathan...is this happening on non-upgraded acx16's as well or only ones that went to 1.17?  That particular controllers has been 1.13 since last year since its never acted up, I didn't mess with it.    I've had controllers not get discovered occasionally, but that just took a few trys and they popped up.  Never one get discovered and not light up.    
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 10:11am
Mine happened on a new ACx16 - purchased this season.
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 11:16am
Originally posted by ChrisL1976

Jonathan...is this happening on non-upgraded acx16's as well or only ones that went to 1.17?    

Hard to say for sure.  All my controllers were running various beta firmware at one point in time and I didn't leave any controller untouched.  Currently I'm running a mix 0f 1.15Beta and 1.17, and the DCx16's are split between 1.11 and 2.0 because I can't get the strobe twinkle mode to engage on 2.0.
~Jonathan
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 1:02pm
Have 8 ACx8s running V2.0, two Acx16 running 1.14 and two ACx16 running 1.15 under Aurora 1.0.68 since Thanksgiving with no problems. Is it possible that later versions of Aurora could be messing with them?

Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 3:33pm
Just got the ACx8s working even though they still will not accept firmware.  I isolated the controller and resent the baud rate (Auto) to the controller and it came to life.

This doesn't make sense...
1. The controller would respond to the "All" events (FF) even though it had a corrupted baud rate, yet it wouldn't respond to its own address until I resent the baud???  That's just plain bizarre!
2. The controller now discovers and responds again, but it will not take firmware (I wanted to reflash to be on the safe side but couldn't get it to take the firmware)

I did notice that if I power cycle an ACx8 while the show is running it does dump a bunch of garbage onto the RS-485 which freezes the show for over a second.

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 26 Dec 2009 at 3:33pm
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by LightChristmas

Is it possible that later versions of Aurora could be messing with them?

I can guarantee it is not Aurora.  I just repatched in the network and went to run a test show prior to restarting the schedule.  #40 had dropped out again during the time nothing was on or even plugged in to a network.  Once again, resending the baud rate brought it back to life.

I really wish I could get the firmware to flash... I would actually like to be able to leave the house and know things are going to keep running!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>