Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Aurora Sequencer Software > Aurora & DMX
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DMX is almost here!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Poll Question: Are you planning to use DMX with Aurora this year?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [44.90%]
27 [55.10%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 11:04am

Using DMX with Aurora will require the purchase of an Aurora DMX adapter package.  This package will include everything you need to start using DMX with Aurora:

6' USB cable
USB-to-"DMX over Cat5" adapter
6' Cat5 cable (you can inexpensively substitute with a custom length)
"DMX-over-Cat5"-to-DMX adapter.
Aurora DMX Universe Plugin License

We've begun accepting pre-orders for the DMX adapter package on our web site for $54.99.  These orders will not ship until we are done with the software, but there is a price discount to offset the wait time.  http://www.aurorashow.com/order.asp

Note: To ensure a quality DMX experience, complete support of all effects on all 512 DMX channels, and continued hassle-free compatibility, we decided to support DMX with an Aurora-specific adapter package.  This conclusion was reached after much research into the options which are currently available.  We do not plan to support third party DMX adapters for 2009. 

Also, included with the upcoming DMX release, we've redone the playback engine in such a way that it will be possible for any computer on the LAN running Aurora to control the lights attached to any other PC as though the USB adapters are attached to the local PC.  For example, it will be possible to edit sequences on the sequencing computer and test them by sending the data out the "live" PC without moving the USB-485 adapters around.  You can even play multiple sequences simultaneously (although that could look rather strange).  Running multiple copies of Aurora no longer results in only one copy being able to access the COM at a time.  Linking across a Wi-Fi network should even be possible as long as your Wi-Fi router doesn't introduce latency.  Since Aurora is licensed for multiple copies allowed in a show, there are probably more possibilities than even we though up.

While Aurora doesn't directly support it in an elegant way in the upcoming release, this change to the COM system also means that it will be possible to (with a little effort) hack together one-shot sequences that respond to yard triggers even while the main sequence is already running (after it is out I'll have to write a howto on this).  We have plans to exploit this possibility in a more convenient way in the future.

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 19 Aug 2009 at 11:17am
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 12:24pm
Yes! My Halloween project just got easier!!
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2009 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by deweycooter

Yes! My Halloween project just got easier!!

For the next version, if you have a way to acquire your triggers that doesn't use the RS-485 line, then it will be possible to run any sequence on demand by shelling Borealis with the "run this sequence now" option (even if the COM is in use by another instance since that doesn't matter anymore).  You can see why I called this a hack.

Eventually we're going to make the COM 2-way so that triggers can be read off trigger boards on the network and then managed directly in Aurora, but since we just re-did the COM... I didn't want to make the plumbing that complicated yet until what we have is proven in the wild.
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2009 at 6:27pm
If I understand correctly, with this new version coming up, I'll be able to do this:

I have computer A connected to my controllers through the USB to serial adapter. It is also hooked up to my wireless LAN system. While I walk in the yard, I can "trigger" that computer to play any sequence I want as if that laptop I'm using was hosting the actual setup? If so, that's wildClap! If not, that would be awesome..Embarrassed

BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 7:00pm
Anybody out there? I just wanted to know about my question. Sorry if everyone is busy sequencing...Embarrassed

deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2009 at 10:11pm
That's how I understand it.  It sure seems to open up a lot of possibilities.
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2009 at 9:53am
Thanks for the reply. It sure would be neat being able to walk in the yard with a laptop and turning on whatever you please.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2009 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by BigDPS

Thanks for the reply. It sure would be neat being able to walk in the yard with a laptop and turning on whatever you please.

I was aware of the answer when you asked, but I had to check with Darryl to make sure this was ok to mention in public.  We are working with D-Light so they can interface HWUtil with Aurora so that HWUtil tests can be done while an Aurora show is in progress.  Your wish very likely will come true.
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2009 at 6:18pm
Wow! This is starting to be more and more like the kicka$$ program to have for our displays!

beavis View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote beavis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2009 at 1:13pm
So I'm new to the concept of DMX. Is this only supporting DMX for color change type stuff, or is movement part of the equation as well?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>