planning stages

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
christmas 01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote christmas 01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: planning stages
    Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 4:52pm
Who maps out or plans out their display?
i have done mine like this since i started just wondered how other folks plan it?

Many hands make christmas lights work
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 5:16pm
I tried once to do it that way.. Kept movng things around too much.  Got tired of redrawing and ran out of eraser. Even tried using Visio.  I pretty much mapped the 'yard' by using the visulizer in Aurora. Since the picture of the house I used  was pretty much from the same place an angle that folks would be seeing things I got a pretty good idea of what things might look like from the visitors point of view. But there were still a few elements that took most of the month+ long show to fine the exact place for them in the '08 display. Plus the 'extras' that got added when things went on sale that weren't originally planned.

For '09 I'm probably going to diagram what worked well in '08 then play with the remaing space for the '09 plans since I hope to be adding a fair amount more. I'll still end up probably just using Aurora visulizer and the 'mental picture' as the primary guide.
christmas 01 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote christmas 01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 5:23pm
i know what you mean about moving things around, i have worked out over the month that im running the show 14 sequences will run but they will run like this, Big%20smile
10th-24th dec 09
startup sequence
lets get ready to rumble
frosty chipmunks
coca cola
time warp
leroy reindeer
show ending
25th-26th dec09
startup sequence
lets get ready to rumble
frosty mowtown
phantom opera
jingle bells
believe in holiday magic
christmas canon
end show
27th-31st dec 09
startup sequence
lets get ready to rumble
coca cola
wizards of winter
frosty chipmunks
phantom
time warp
jingle bells
leroy
sleigh ride
show ending
1st jan 2010
aude lang syne

Edited by christmas 01 - 10 Feb 2009 at 5:24pm
Many hands make christmas lights work
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 7:26pm
The voices in my head tell me where to put the lights.Wacko

I get a little anal about mine and take a panoramic pic of the yard/house with survey flags placed every 5' at the front/middle/back of the yard for locating various "props"; then add things via photoshop. Also use graph paper for an "aerial" view".

ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by LightChristmas

The voices in my head tell me where to put the lights.Wacko

I get a little anal about mine and take a panoramic pic of the yard/house with survey flags placed every 5' at the front/middle/back of the yard for locating various "props"; then add things via photoshop. Also use graph paper for an "aerial" view".

Anal would be hiring a land surveyor to put the flags in at perfect 5.00' accuracy...creating a perfect 5'x5' grid.  LOL

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 10 Feb 2009 at 8:03pm
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2009 at 5:20pm
I recreated my display on a 2 feet by 4 feet board. Each set of light is recreated by putting a regular C7 lightbulb. They are all plugged in my controllers. That way, I have a better visual idea of what will go on once I go "live".

For example, my mega tree has 32 sets and my recreation has 32 lights. My sets are broken as follow: blue, yellow, red,green and it goes like this 8 times. My recreation has the same colored lights side by side in a circle to mimic the tree. When they flash, you'd think a mad scientist is in the room!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply