Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Shorting Bizzzzzzzzzzzzt

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pony_God View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 8:23am
With all of the rain, have any of you noticed that your LEDs are more on than normal? We usually have a 2% glow, but with the rain/humidity there are some strings that are about 80-90% on. I did not happen to measure the few channels that were leaking the 1-2VAC before to see if there is more of a leak yet.

As for GFCIs, we have one hat hates humidity. Trips as soon as the B side goes in. Now, on that controller, every time that it's plugged in, there is a spark, of course, that's quite odd, since there ground is compleately seperate and cannot touch anything since we use the heatsink as the ground-bar. I have not opened him up to look yet because I didn't really want it to rain INTO the controller box, but will probably take a quick look when it's light and dry out. See if there's a single errant wire from a crimp that's raoming free.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 1:40pm
As I reported elsewhere, the glitches on my CDI LEDs greatly increase when it gets wet out.  There is one purple channel that is particularly bad whenever it rains.  Fog seems to be the worst offender though. 

I haven't taken any measurements when the lights are doing this (standing in a water puddle in the rain while moving plugs around to check circuits with a DMM doesn't sound safe or even remotely desireable to me).  Maybe if we get some fog again I'll meter it.
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 1:49pm
You might get your wish tonight. We're getting freezing fog here right now.

LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 2:07pm
Freezing fog??  Can't say I've ever experienced that combination! 

It is interesting how meterological terms vary a bit depending on where you are at.  I recently was somewhere where the official NWS report included a "drizzle mist".  I had never heard of a "drizzle mist" before!  My understanding was that drizzle is scientifically quantified as rain which is less than 1/50 inch in diameter (I know, who's got the ruler out), and that mist is more of a fog (I'm not sure of the distinction between mist and fog).  At least that is how it is used here.  I guess a "drizzle mist" is drizzle happening while it is foggy?

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 16 Dec 2008 at 2:08pm
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 2:13pm
So does that mean that you can cut the fog with a knife?

We don't have any puddles, ground down here is all sugar-sand so it has to be pretty well saturated to make puddles.
Now that I have a bit of time tonight, if everyone's glowing I'm going to measure and record for a dry day. I need to look at #10 because of the GFCI anyway, look for an errant wire fray near ground.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 3:06pm
Like freezing rain, but much more insidious. Take a dense fog, then freeze it. Creates black ice on the roads almost instantly - as one of our newsies found out when they hurried out to do a story about hazardous driving conditions; and put one of our news vehicles in a ditch a few hundred yards from the station. Guess they can save the trouble of finding an accident now and report themselves.LOL

bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2008 at 3:54pm
Remember that freezing fog and black ice well from 6 yrs living in England. We get some here but no where near what they get 'over the pond'.

For us here in Eastern PA looks like sleet and snow event coming tonight .  We're about 50% LED here.  The full wave m5 greens from Holiday Light Express have been excellent. The LED ropes from eBay have also been excellent (~550 ft., 4 colors). The Home Depot, Lowes, K-Mart strings have all been performing well too - No real issues other than the difference in ramps that one would expect to see between minis and LED.  The only ones I'm not 100% happy with are whites from Sams Club.. Fades were almost nonexistant until I flashed firmware 1.15 on that controller which seems to have improved them somewhat.. Doesn't seem to matter what the atmosphere throws at us LED's seem to be the same wet, dry, warm, or cold.. 

Now I wish I could say the minis have all been good..  GE pro (slightly larger bulb) reds been losing half a string on some of the mini trees.

Shouldn't have anymore 3-4 inch deep deposits of water now that a large drain hole (size of hammer head Wink) got punched into the device that was accumulating water, and the forgotten wire tie has been installed to prevent a plug from falling in and becoming submerged.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123