mp3s or wavs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Rambler1 View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rambler1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mp3s or wavs
    Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 9:10am
Which format is better to use for sequencing?

Thanks
Andy
If you're not in
You're out

peteandvanessa View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote peteandvanessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 9:12am
WAV WAV WAV WAV.

MP3's do work most of the time, but sooner or later it will come back and bite you. Convert ALL music files to WAV period!!!!!!!
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 9:15am
The funniest thing that ALWAYS happened to me was that the start of the sequence was different on every single computer that I opened the sequence on.

How to get your MP3s to WAVs? Audacity.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 12:32pm
I'm still trying to figure out the MP3 "shifting" thing.  It seems to be something in videoedit.ocx.  I'm going to put in a support ticket with the vendor of that control to see what they have to say about it.
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 12:43pm

Funny, I can remember with Spectrum when only mp3's worked, and wavs all failed on me. 

Just make sure the file is 16 bit, not 32 bit floating.  Some users have had issues with the 32 bit floating format before.
~Jonathan
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 12:59pm

I think it could just as simple as saying that MP3s are not supported. Or that they are supported, as long as the are converted.

Aurora wouldn't be able to convert it if an MP3 was selected, could it? (In the future)?
D-Light users Unite!
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 1:02pm
I think a friendly message when assigning an MP3 as the media file would be more appropriate - converting audio files should be left to products that specialize in that area.
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 1:02pm
Go look at your C:\program files\aurora\cacheWink

Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 1:09pm
That's what I thought. Could it copy the cache to /audio/<file_name>.wav and update the field in the sequence?
D-Light users Unite!
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2008 at 1:46pm
PG, it already uses the file in the cache for playback, so it already is using the converted format.   If you delete/update the original file then the cache rebuilds itself on the next startup of Aurora. 

This was necessary because the "lossy" formats have a nasty habit of allowing "temporal distortions" during playback (which isn't desireable in our application), so Aurora needs to cache a "lossless" format copy of the file in order to preserve temporal integrity during playback (I'm starting to sound too Star Trek here I'm afraid).

MP3s are supported by Aurora.  In fact, most users will never have a single problem with them (threads like this are the atypical exception).  The MP3 problem lies in videoedit.ocx which is responsible for the conversion.  Videoedit.ocx relies on the codecs and filter files on the system to perform the conversion.  Because of this, other apps (particular video editors and DVD player software) can really mess up the process.  Converting audio files probably isnt the best job for a video editing component, but it did enable us to also easily support video files, including seperate extraction of the audio from any video file for use with spectrographic analysis.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>