Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Aurora Sequencer Software > Aurora 1.0 > Feature Requests
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Printing Channel Configurations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
camdebuck View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote camdebuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Printing Channel Configurations
    Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 10:39pm
I think it would be very helpful if we could print the channel configuration for all channels.  I hate using a pen/pencil to write everything down and then plug everything in.  Much easier to just print and then plug everything in.

This is my frist year and starting out with 96 channels, so it's a pain :)
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 11:21pm
I just use excel and type them out.  you can also use a screen shot and print that out...just crop out the other stuff.....save ink

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 12 Nov 2008 at 11:24pm
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2008 at 11:29pm
Try using Excel.  You can create your channel listings there, and then you can copy and paste the channel name when you create a new channel, or by using the bulk channel editor.  You can easily print out Excel sheets. 

One of Aurora's strengths is the fact it is simple.  The graphics and other things like that are minimal, but the program actually works.  If a lot of additions become prevalent, then there is more potential for something to go wrong. 
~Jonathan
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 12:52am
Mentioned this to Michael way back when the BCE first appeared. Might have gotten lost in the shuffle.Wink

Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 8:05am
I use the spreadsheet trick, but it's still a pain to update both places.
It would be nice if, even a simple txt file could be created so that it could be coppied/pasted into Excel. I do a lot of flipping back and forth, then update Aurora, then forget to update the sheet, then when I go to measure loads I'm missing stuff. Beside that, entering 96 channels (this year) twice is a PAIN! I'm going to hate it even more next year.

OR, what it Aurora managed Load data and a details sheet could be printed? THAT could be really cool! Aurora could calculate the current load on any given channel, side of a controller, controller total, and display total! OOOOooo! That would be really cool. I could easily see if I'm getting near my fuse/breaker load before I start tripping real breakers!

Do I hear any seconds????
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Jonathan

Try using Excel.  You can create your channel listings there, and then you can copy and paste the channel name when you create a new channel, or by using the bulk channel editor.  You can easily print out Excel sheets. 

One of Aurora's strengths is the fact it is simple.  The graphics and other things like that are minimal, but the program actually works.  If a lot of additions become prevalent, then there is more potential for something to go wrong. 

This is why it hasn't been included in Aurora yet.  The architecture is there to expand the program greatly (case in point, RGB), but the foundation needs to be scrutinized before we build too much on top of it.

Anyway, this will be included in Aurora at some point, just not now.  However, it was a trivial 5 minute deal to toss together some code in an isolated project that can perform this task.  Just drop the channelexporter.exe file into your Aurora Sequencer directory:

This program creates an instance of the AuroraData API, loads a DLS file, and then exports some information about the channels to a CSV file.  This is a part of the as yet undocumented (because it is not finished) API that will allow third party developers to write add-ons for Aurora.  For developers out there I even threw in the VB6 source code.
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 11:42am
wow, that is really clean and quick.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 11:50am
That is pretty slick!!!  

Thanks Michael
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
camdebuck View Drop Down

Quote camdebuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 8:47am
Great!!!  I've been developing software for over 20 years so I can easily create something, but since it creates a CSV, Excel will work just fine :)  Thank you!!
  --Cam--
 Post Reply Post Reply