Trans-Siberian Orchestra Contest!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jberner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jberner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trans-Siberian Orchestra Contest!!
    Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 7:20pm
Because we all know we will ALL be using Wizards In Winter...

I found this on the TSO site today!

"Decorate your house to TSO!
TSO and Forest City are sponsoring a nationwide house decorating contest. We want you to create your own holiday light show to TSO music. The prizes include a free trip to Chicago to see TSO live as well as Gift Cards for use at your local Forest City Malls . For details click here: http://www.symphonyinlights.com"

If you do this, please post you Youtube link here too so we can all see how we each set up our shows!

jberner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jberner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 7:25pm
Any chance we can get this subject pinned so it stays where folks can see it at the top?

LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 8:24pm
Read the "fine print" of the contest rules.

It can easily be interpreted that one you submit a video, ALL intellectual rights escheat to the contest organizer. This means that you cannot post that video anywhere else - ever. It can also be considered that the sequence file used in the video cannot be used again as well.

When you get lawyers and the convoluted legalese involved, all bets are off.

ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2008 at 9:15pm
LC....yeah.....that dam fine print   LOL

I wonder if they would let me change location and give me a trip to new york city to see them....going to chicago is kind of a "so what" for me.....all expense paid trip....hour drive in a limo to the concert.   They will probably say since I live so close, they will just take me home after the concert..Ermm
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2008 at 8:27am
So? Change a few notes, swap a few colors, and it's a "different" display.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2008 at 8:31am
Originally posted by Pony_God

So? Change a few notes, swap a few colors, and it's a "different" display.

Yeah, then let the courts decide how different it is.....LOL

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 30 Oct 2008 at 8:31am
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2008 at 10:40am
Ask them to define how a Lincon Mark is different from a F150 other than a extra few grand...
It's the same thing, just with different plastic...
How many Chevy and Caddy Avalanches have you seen that are 'different' cars?
LOL
D-Light users Unite!
jberner View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote jberner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2008 at 7:12pm
You are taking the fun out of it folks.

The idea of changing the show a little does hold true.  Frankly, anyone that rolls past your yard can film it and it is 'their' recording and the recording is their Intellectual Property(IP). However they do not own the IP to the sequence itself.  If it is visible from a public place anyone can make a copy of what they can observe and they own the recording, not the show or the event that they observed.  Technically you can move your video camera 6 inches to the left, film it again and you have a new video with all new IP rights for you to post where ever you want.  Keep in mind that you have to Youtube it before they accept your sbumittal anyways.... Ever read the fine print of Youtube?? 

When it all boils down, the big deal with them taking rights to the video is that if they reuse it somewhere they don't want to pay you royalties or ask your permission to reuse it for their advertising.  It is highly unlikely that they would try to take ownership of the intellectual property of the sequence itself and in a court of law if there was wording in the contest rules to that effect odds are they would be ruled "unconscionable" as it would be extremely draconian and one sided that they take all your efforts and work just so you could submit something for a contest that your probably wouldn't win.

To put this in perspective, if you ever won a radio contest you inadvertently gave the radio station rights to eternally use your voice in that particular 'appearance' on their show forever as well.   This isn't that big of a deal.  If you want to enter don't be scared and just do it.

If you really want to read between the lines, TSO just gave the world the rights to use three of their songs in public viewings so long as it is synchronized to lights and submitted prior to the contest end.  While I haven't read the fine print I doubt that they have a clause that you have to purchase the music prior to playing it for this.  In many states it is illegal to make people pay to enter a publicly offered contest so purchasing the songs is probably not a requirement (but I could be wrong).  Likewise there is probably nothing that says you can only use their music for 'X' number of days so in essence they gave those 3 songs away for free to anyone that enters this contest.  Of course, if they read this post odds are they will add that clause.

Additionally how would their corporate image look it they sued you for using the same show again next year.  Lets not fear the legal reaper on this and JUST DO IT!

Edited by jberner - 30 Oct 2008 at 7:56pm
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2008 at 9:18pm
Just jokes... Calm down.
I'm not entering, don't have mutch interest in going.
I'd
rather have an Aurora or D-Light contest.
D-Light users Unite!
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2008 at 9:44pm
I love it...you get a $1000 dollar trip that you then have to pay taxes on and they get to use your video for endless advertising......wonder if Carson will tell us how much he sold his for?    just kidding..   Some how I think the people doing all the hard work are getting the short end of the stick.
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>