Neighbors and your lights...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Comporder1 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2008 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by kedogn

UPDATE:

I wanted to mention that yesterday while putting up lights and while running power cords and such I actually had a few of my neighbors comment on our lights... ALL POSITIVE!  The ones I was afraid of most, the ones almost directly across the street, said they LOVED the light show, even commented on how much they liked our Halloween show (wasnt much really, but thats still cool to hear).  Mind you, this is the first time I have ever talked to this guy and I told him I was glad to hear they did cause I was worried about the amount of light I was throwing their way and he says, "Really? No, we dont notice it at all when we close our curtains, so its great!"  After talking for a few minutes I felt so much better.  Had been worrying about that... especially about them.

A few others stopped to comment as they drove by as well.  I must have talked to a dozen or so that live in our neighborhood yesterday.  Heck even my direct neighbors wife commented on how it was looking really good and how she really liked the little trees (mini trees) down front.  Others commented on how they cnat wait to see it all lit up.

Thats a load off my mind...

I wonder if they would like it if they knew their house was being broadcast to the world via your web cam!! LOLLOLLOL

Maybe the wireless would reach so could mount it at their house pointing back at yours.
kedogn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kedogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2008 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Comporder1

Maybe the wireless would reach so could mount it at their house pointing back at yours.

I have been debating myself to go ask them if I could do this.  I would have to plug into their power and you know how some people can be about that... even though it couldnt take more than a buck or 2 to power it for a full month.  Between that and not really knowing them.. not sure i am gonna ask. :)
BOOMER SOONER!

Lee Family Lights
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2008 at 5:10pm
Had someone parked near my display for 15 minutes last night, and the display isn't even done - or ON yet!LOL

kedogn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote kedogn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2008 at 7:43pm
I noticed a van tonight slow down and back up and then sit in front of the house.  All my lights were off, I thought, but what I figured out later is that 1 section of my Bethlehem Star was on.. they must have liked it cause they stayed there a while :)
BOOMER SOONER!

Lee Family Lights
Lightupky View Drop Down

Quote Lightupky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 12:22am
i have been putting mine up for the last few weeks off and on as the weather would let me have about 15 kids between the ages of 5 and 10 that live on the same street i am on and days that i would be home working on the yard or roof they would all stop and ask when are you turning on your lights this year  last year i used about 1500 to 2000 lights  and the lights and sound box  they all said it was great  i have talked to a few neighbors that live within the line of sight of my house and found out that there were a good amount of cars stopping last year and all of them say they cant wait to see it this year i have even had a few of the kids offer to help untangle and straiten out the lights and a few of thier parent have even inquired about how i did it last year and how i am going about it this year they got a small preview at halloween and liked what i did then.
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 7:33am
I also did the lights-n-sounds box last year and people loved it.  Ran about a 2.5 hour test several nights ago and alot of folks stopped looking. Folks have been stopping by looking at the lights off since the test night.  Talked throughout the year with a few neighbors and they 've been anxious to see what I have up my sleeve for this year.  Response has been positive so far.  We get alot of speeders on our street and this will definitely slow them down a little bit so even the possible traffic problems isn't yet a problem.
It's almost showtime Big%20smile
Lightupky View Drop Down

Quote Lightupky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 2:14pm
almost show time and i dont have a full sequence done yet i have no ear for music and im never happy with what i have set up to run if its made outa nuts and bolts or needs welding i can do it but music my 11 year old nephew is better at doing the sequences than i am so he is staying with me thursday and friday to help me lol.
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2008 at 6:16pm
Don't feel bad about not having an ear for music or not being happy about the sequence you're doing. No matter how much you try, it never will be up to snuff. I had 16 channels last year and updated all my songs to 32 channels. I'm all done but I still don't like them. There's always something missing....

As for the neighbors, we have new ones in the front of our house. They have driveway lights that are some powerful. I told my wife that I can't wait to set the mega tree right close to the road and blast them with blinking lights....she thought I was childish!!! Thumbs%20Up

Afterall, I worked hard to setup this display. We have 8 trees with lights on, and this weekend, I have the mega tree going up along with the 10 mini trees that we built over 3 weekends. Sure is a lot of work to try and have fun with lights and music. I hope the neighbors appreciate all the hard work that I've been going through just for them!!!

Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 8:19am
Originally posted by BigDPS

Don't feel bad about not having an ear for music or not being happy about the sequence you're doing. No matter how much you try, it never will be up to snuff. I had 16 channels last year and updated all my songs to 32 channels. I'm all done but I still don't like them. There's always something missing....
AMEN!
So when's the Borg implant comming out so that I can tweak it exactly how it should be while watching it live?
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2008 at 2:28pm
Actually, I wish I could have Aurora integrated with the batting of my eyelids. It would be so much simpler to find the beats...or maybe not.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>