Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Basic Questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Spec-Dragon View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Spec-Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basic Questions
    Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 9:38pm

First: How many channels will Aurora handle? 

I don't want to start off here on the wrong note, but to me security is a serious matter.
Why does this forum confirm in an unsecured e-mail my user name and password?? The password, at them minimum should be blanked out. That, for me, is way beyond stupid. Dead
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Spec-Dragon

I don't want to start off here on the wrong note

Too late.
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 10:20pm
More channels than 99% of our budgets can afford.

As far as starting off on the wrong note, umm..yeah...well...
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2008 at 10:34pm
Well, There can be about 250 networks, each network can handle about 250 controllers (noteing that a Firefly counts as 3 controllers).
So...
62,500 controllers total, or about 1,000,000 channels if you run all 16 channel controllers.

I know that I'm a bit off, but close. Is that enough channels for you?

As for security... Do you use a password is forums that is close to important acount passwords? I know that I don't. Also, these forums are created by "Web Wiz Forums" and that just may not be an option in the setup. If the cleartext password is an issue for you, just change it not that you've logged in. Don't forget to make it a combination of at least 10  letters, numbers, and meta-characters.
I've been a network administrator for years, and I don't mind a single clear p/w in a single email on a simple forum. If anyone got this p/w all they could do is mess with my signiture, and post crap.

But, now that I've said that... Welcome to the forums of Aurora!

off-hand, what hardware do you run?
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
Spec-Dragon View Drop Down

Quote Spec-Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 4:48am

That seems like enough, I think. LOL

As for password security, I manage a small network of 4 data servers and 48 computers. Security is a habit for me. And yes, all someone could do is mess with this forum, but they can cause hard feeling and misunderstandings. I have been there in other forums and have seen the damage first hand so I feel it is important to have the basics of security in all forums, no matter what.

And thank you for the welcome, all of you.

Hardware is D-Light, which is excellent. The Spectrum has been a serious annoyance and I look forward to the Aurora, so far it looks very promising.

Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 8:19am
Originally posted by Spec-Dragon

Hardware is D-Light, which is excellent. The Spectrum has been a serious annoyance and I look forward to the Aurora, so far it looks very promising.

Yeay! More D-Light users! Have you added yourself to the D-Light users' map? (see my sig)

Now don't forget, that's only about 333,333 Fireflys!
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
 Post Reply Post Reply