Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Shifing timing on each computer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pony_God View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 6:32pm

Do you think that Vista has an issue with the file not being at 44.1kHz?

Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by Pony_God

Do you think that Vista has an issue with the file not being at 44.1kHz?
I don't think that issues with sample rate are restricted to Vista, but it certainly won't help your situation to have your wave files sampled at another rate.

Originally posted by LightsOnLogan

The best settings for a WAV file are 44.1kHz, 16-bit, 2 channels.  When ripping from a CD this will result in a lossless file that doesn't have any aliasing artifacts.
Aliasing.  That was the word that I was trying to remember.  When I was working with 80's and 90's samplers, all kinds of garbage found their way "out of the box" when you tried to resample or combine files with differing sample rates.  Nasty stuff.  Though the worst I remember was in 2001 when a designer had created hours of sound effects files, and she paid no attention to the sample rates!  Most were 44100, but many were 48000, and some were much lower.  The BeOS computer running the software could not make any sense of the varying rates during import, so it just imported silence or garbage.  After about a day of trying to figure out why a new system was taking such a dump, I eventually found the sample rate inconsistencies, resampled the offending files to 44100, and everything imported on the first try.

And it still somehow ended up being my fault.  But that's why I don't do theatre anymore.  The less I have to do with Yale graduates, the better. Pinch

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 10:04pm

Someone bought BeOS!?

Alright, I'll reconvert the mp3s to 44.1, see if that helps anything.
D-Light users Unite!
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 10:43pm

I can't update the kHz, I'm stuck at 14

D-Light users Unite!
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2008 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by Pony_God

Someone bought BeOS!?
If I remember correctly, BeOS is history.  Level Control Systems was using BeOS in Pentium based sound automation systems when I was using them in 2001.  LCS was gobbled up by Meyer Sound Labs in 2005, and Meyer now offers the LCS product line here.  It took some digging through the support section, but it seems that the LCS Cue Station software is now compatible with both Mac OS and Windows.

Too bad for BeOS, though.  It was a cute little streamlined software.  Kind of a mix of the positive aspects of Mac and PC.  But that was at the turn of the century, and things have gotten a bit more complex since then. Clown

Back to your regularly scheduled holiday display program....
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 7:53am

Pony, you said the software was "stuck at 44"    I looked through Audacity and always saw 44100 as the sample frequency. (bottom left of the screen is where I set my output sample rate, then just go to File/Export as WAV. )

I hope you are always going back to the most original file for these conversions. Resampling a file that has already been resampled once or twice will really add a lot of sound artifacts. 

Edited by JonB256 - 03 Oct 2008 at 8:03am
JonB - D-Light user
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 8:40am
Sorry, I ment 1411kbps. I am at 44100kHz

When I looked at the file thjough XP, I saw the below, though Vista I can't see as much.
bit rate 1411
audio sample size  16 bit
chanels 2 stero
audio sample rate 44kHz
audio format    PCM

I have all of the default settings from Audacity, 44100kHz, floating 32bit, and exported as wav. The wav runs perfectly fine in media player, Aurora on 2003, and Aurora on XP. I just can't play anything in Vista anymore.

Alright, so here's another oddity to add to the mix. Last night the Vista box had an actuall BSOD, stuck there when I got in today. After the reboot everything seems to work again.

I'd like to be able to check the audio file name though, the field isn't long enough to show me the extention.
D-Light users Unite!
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 1:54pm
Aurora might not like the floating resolutions (24 bit, 32 bit).  You should stick with 16 bit.

Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2008 at 2:26pm
Alright, so make sure that the wavs are set to specifically 16bit. I'll re encode them.
D-Light users Unite!
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2008 at 12:03pm
Nope, that didn't help. Vista seems to like my waves less than the mp3 of the same ausio file. Again today, I cannot play a single sequence, and I get the standard can't redraw error.

I'm rebooting now, see if that fixes anything.
D-Light users Unite!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123