Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Vault > I'm New From Spectrum And I Need Help!
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedoutput to the controller

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Jonathan

Plugging the USB cord into any port should result in the same COM # because it's the RS485 adapter (or LOR equivalent) that is doing the work.  Think of it like plugging a lamp into any power outlet.  The lamp will work the same way no matter which outlet you choose.

Nice analogy.  Now this whole COM port concept makes sense.

My next question, though.  Is there a difference between the USB ports on a the back of the case (on the motherboard?)  vs. the ones on the front of the case vs. using a hub?  Can slow/fast USB come into play here?

The reason I ask is that I have some other USB gear that specifically states in the documentation NOT to use a USB hub.  Have I just been lucky, or could this be a problem waiting to happen in D-Light/Aurora land?

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
peteandvanessa View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote peteandvanessa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 8:03pm
I believe there is  problem with long ramps in the S/W (I have seen an issue with long random shimmers that don't get output to the lights but work on the simulation)
JonB256 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote JonB256 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2008 at 10:13pm

You may have a USB port like one of mine.

Some things work when plugged in, some don't. If I plug in my Sansa music/video player, it isn't seen and won't charge. But, on the same computer, if I plug it into a USB port on the back (direct motherboard connection) it works perfectly.  I haven't spent the time to investigate, but the port that doesn't work is an auxiliary set that connects by wires to the computer case. Probably a bad wire causing reduced or no voltage. 

JonB - D-Light user
Pony_God View Drop Down

Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 8:01am
There are powered and non-powered hubs, you are most ilkely using a non powered hub, that does not have the extra voltage to pass down the line.
In generall, there are two USB chips, that drive the plungs on the back of the case (directly attached to the MB. Gennerally the ones that are on the from are considered to be a powered hub.
The main reason that manufactures don't want thier suff in hubs is because they don't want to explain powered vs. non powered vs. high speed vs. junk and then take the support calls on bad setups. They know that if thier stuff is in the back, they have the best connection.

Same plug in different ports with the same COM is how it's _supposed_ to work. Since we're in the MS world, and Windows likes to help when we don't want it's help, sometimes Windows does like to assisgn a new com port for the same hardware when it's just in a different slot.
I have a mouse that I have to plug into a specific port or it will try to reinstall the drives as though it's a new mouse, give it new ID, and reset all of the button programming. Put it back in the original port and Windows loads all of the stuff that was there before.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 8:02am
Originally posted by tonyjmartin

Originally posted by Jonathan

Plugging the USB cord into any port should result in the same COM # because it's the RS485 adapter (or LOR equivalent) that is doing the work.  Think of it like plugging a lamp into any power outlet.  The lamp will work the same way no matter which outlet you choose.

Nice analogy.  Now this whole COM port concept makes sense.

My next question, though.  Is there a difference between the USB ports on a the back of the case (on the motherboard?)  vs. the ones on the front of the case vs. using a hub?  Can slow/fast USB come into play here?

The reason I ask is that I have some other USB gear that specifically states in the documentation NOT to use a USB hub.  Have I just been lucky, or could this be a problem waiting to happen in D-Light/Aurora land?

USB hub works fine with the RS485. In Fact, on the computer I run my shows on, its the only way I can get the finicky little b@stard to recognize the RS485 is if I plug it into a external USB hub I have hooked to the computer.
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Pony_God

Same plug in different ports with the same COM is how it's _supposed_ to work. Since we're in the MS world, and Windows likes to help when we don't want it's help, sometimes Windows does like to assisgn a new com port for the same hardware when it's just in a different slot.
and
Originally posted by ChrisL1976

USB hub works fine with the RS485. In Fact, on the computer I run my shows on, its the only way I can get the finicky little b@stard to recognize the RS485 is if I plug it into a external USB hub I have hooked to the computer.

That explains the seemingly hit-or-miss success I've had with my webcam, digital camera, camcorder, MP3/4 player, and D-Light USB-485.  Sometimes they seem to connect immediately.  Sometimes I see them installing.  And sometimes I need to switch USB slots.  Now I know that it's just the "Windoze Way of Things."  I miss everything about Macs but the expense and lack of cheap third party products.

Thanks, guys!  I knew there was a reason that we let the geeks hang out here.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2008 at 10:10am
Its really hit or miss on some USB ports. Not so much Microsloth as it is hardware developers that want to save that extra .02 cents by not adding that extra regulator. Largely depends if there is sufficient current on the +5V line - which is why USB hubs (the ones that use wall warts) tend to have a better success rate.

Edited by LightChristmas - 23 Sep 2008 at 10:13am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12