2010 Aurora Status / DMX beta

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 8:51am
Tom.....I guess there is a question for Michael. 

Is Aurora going to be strictly E1.31 output or will the V3 D-light dongle work also? 
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by ChrisL1976

Tom.....I guess there is a question for Michael. 

Is Aurora going to be strictly E1.31 output or will the V3 D-light dongle work also? 

From the Facebook page:
"To update D-Light controllers to DMX is a relatively simple process which involves switching out one socketed chip on each controller. If nobody else steps up to the plate I will be happy to program your preprogram PICs and ship them to you for only the cost of the PIC itself and shipping. You do *not* need to mess with your D-Light V2 or V3 adapters because they will no longer be used (an E1.31 adapter, such as the DR4, replaces them)."

The model mentioned is the EthConGateway ECG-DR4 from Joshua 1 Systems.  It lists for $145 plus shipping.
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 9:11pm
Thanks, I missed that post. If I remember right, I believe JS1 is coming out with 2 universe ECG this year though for a bit cheaper.
Keep an eye out for possible  presale pricing if you plan to go that route.  If you are ever planning on using RGB pixels.....go ahead and go the DR4 route because you will need the channels.

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 11 Jul 2011 at 9:13pm
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by ChrisL1976

Thanks, I missed that post. If I remember right, I believe JS1 is coming out with 2 universe ECG this year though for a bit cheaper.  Keep an eye out for possible  presale pricing if you plan to go that route.  If you are ever planning on using RGB pixels.....go ahead and go the DR4 route because you will need the channels.

In this thread Michael refers to an Aurora product that WAS going to be produced by Joshua 1 Systems:

Originally posted by LightsOnLogan

We may bring back D-Light dongle and OpenDMX USB based DMX solutions in the future, but they are not our target for development at this point in time.  All active development is focused on E1.31 right now.

We were negotiating with J1 to produce an Aurora branded E1.31 adapter with only 2 universes at a lower entry price point ($89-$99 range), but in the end we decided to focus on the software and to stay out of the hardware business.

Michael

If this is the "2 universe ECG" to which you are referring, Michael is no longer pursuing negotiations with Josua 1 Systems to offer this adapter.  So the price point remains at $145 plus shipping for the ECG-DR4.

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2011 at 11:17pm
JS1 is making the 2 Univ ECG with or without Aurora. Actually it was in existence last fall, just not production.  If you see early videos of the DR4, you can see it on the table.  There is no difference between the 2 and 4 unit version besides univ output.  Both are E1.31.  Michael says it will require an E1.31 adapter ...(keywords coming)..."such as the DR4".

Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Buckeyelights View Drop Down

Quote Buckeyelights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 7:56am

Thanks Chris & Tom.  Now I can look forward to the enhanced version of Aurora without major revamping of my system.

Tks!
Joe
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:40am
Ok I'm lost here. Does this mean that if I don't use DMX, my present system will be stuck at 1.0.69 forever ? I have no immediate intention of going DMX at the moment. I just want a quick copy paste feature from Aurora.

Please enlighten me cause I'm really confused. Damn DMX. Dead

Edited by BigDPS - 12 Jul 2011 at 9:40am

LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 4:20pm
I'm looking at this from a more optimistic standpoint. Where else can you get a "dual" 255-Channel controller for $145? Granted, the "lights" aren't cheap, but when you are no longer constrained to a handful of colors, tons of extension cords, and having several 20A circuits to deal with; I think its well worth it.

Now, I may be waaaay off base, as I have no way at the moment to verify this; but it would appear than the DMX is on NET32 - leaving 31 "Nets" available for the D-Light serial dongle. Wouldn't both be useable simultaneously?

Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 4:38pm
  E1.31 is all network based units. Each one will have its own IP address just like your network printers, laptops, ect.  If you have any sort of network in your house (wifi for example) You have done this kind of setup before.  Mixing E1.31 devices just require using a plain network hub.  Its really pretty simple.   Here is a diagrams put together by Fast Eddy from the ACL board. It does a great job of showing setup for it

http://auschristmaslighting.com/forums/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=647.0;attach=1102

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 12 Jul 2011 at 4:40pm
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 4:40pm
LC.....its going to depend on how Michael sets it up.  E1.31 and DL dongles use different ports on your computer.  So there is no issue there

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 12 Jul 2011 at 4:42pm
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>