Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Aurora Sequencer Software > Aurora 1.0
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Sanity Check: Is there no back ground sequence?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
frankr View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote frankr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sanity Check: Is there no back ground sequence?
    Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 3:36am
Hello all,

I am running way behind and I think I just realized that Aurora does not have a feature for a sequence that turns on some elements and leaves them on throughout the show.

I have been trying to search for whether or not this exists to no avail...

So how do people handle this in their displays? (I.e. turning on portions of your display that do not change. Historically I have had X10 running my radio sign, inflatables, etc... I know Aurora does not support X-10 and was assuming I would use some of my spare channels instead to get the radio sign on.  No inflatables this year...)

I am thinking I may need to setup LOR to drive X-10 signals.

Any advice would be greatly appreaciated. I may have to roll back to LOR for the season but I am dreading that thought...

Frank (victim of lack of prior proper planning... )

TheQueb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote TheQueb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 5:15am
I just run a "on command" throughout each sequence for my tune to signs and my coro cutout spots. There's a short off time between sequences but it doesnt seem to bother the line of cars in front of the house.
80 D-Light-ful Channels
Southeast Texas Lights
D-Light Users
MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 7:54am
Turning a channel 'ON' for the full sequence works fine. The only caution here is that you need to leave a millisecond or two at the beginning of the sequence in the "OFF" mode. Sometimes I couldn't get my controllers to consistently to get the 'ON' commands without it.

For inflatables I use a dc controller that drives heavy duty SSRs (similar to X10 modules) to run the motors since they are electromechanical devices with varying power demands.

Just curious about why you don't like LOR software.

Holding breath for DMX.
frankr View Drop Down

Quote frankr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 10:00am
Thanks guys,

That is pretty much what I was thinking.

It is not that I do not like the LOR SW. Actually between the three (LSP, Aurora and LOR) it is the most stable easy to use solution.  It fits the way I work better then any other package (simple things like being able to use the arrow key in the grid and selecting multiple cells with the shift key then applying an effect by calling up the one you want with a keyboard shortcut, And copy paste is quick...).

The thing is I added 2 Fireflys and 10 hand built RGB wall washes (DC16 powered).  Trying to get those effects into LOR would be time consuming in the extreme.

I will say that LOR is not so strong at setting up the events. I Love Aurora's beat detector and spectrogram.  For LOR I was adjusting the tempo of songs so that beats would be mathematically a number cleanly divisible by 4 apart and then setting a grid with that time spacing.  It works but is not as precise.

MrChristmas, Any idea if a flood light with a motion sensor is safe to drive off of D-light/LOR channels?

Thank You,

Frank
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 11:04am
Go to the end of the sequence via the End key.  You can actually scroll out past the last timing mark using the Page Down key.  Select the Info tool, and click on the cell you wish to remain on.  You can then edit the intensity via sliders.  The effect will remain on in between sequences until you tell the next sequence to turn it off.  (You can just use an On command during the sequence.)  You will need to edit all your songs this way, but be sure to have a "Run Once" closing sequence that turns the effect off. 

This is an "undocumented feature", and as such is not supported nor guaranteed to work in future versions. 
~Jonathan
frankr View Drop Down

Quote frankr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 11:59am
Good Tip Jonathan! Thank You

Now if a future version supports static sequences this "undocumented" feature would not be needed Wink
MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 7:09pm
frankr

I use a flood light with a motion sensor for security purposes but don't link it into any control channel.

Holding breath for DMX.
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2009 at 8:31pm
Firing a triac (floodlight sensor) from another triac (controller) is normally not good juju.

frankr View Drop Down

Quote frankr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 9:15am
Thanks lightchristmas.  That was kind of what I was expecting. I have always used X10 appliance modules (Relays) to drive them in the past. 
Comporder1 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2009 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by MrChristmas2000

Turning a channel 'ON' for the full sequence works fine. The only caution here is that you need to leave a millisecond or two at the beginning of the sequence in the "OFF" mode. Sometimes I couldn't get my controllers to consistently to get the 'ON' commands without it.
AND
Originally posted by Jonathan

Go to the end of the sequence via the End key.  You can actually scroll out past the last timing mark using the Page Down key.  Select the Info tool, and click on the cell you wish to remain on.  You can then edit the intensity via sliders.  The effect will remain on in between sequences until you tell the next sequence to turn it off.  (You can just use an On command during the sequence.)  You will need to edit all your songs this way, but be sure to have a "Run Once" closing sequence that turns the effect off. 

This is an "undocumented feature", and as such is not supported nor guaranteed to work in future versions. 

Sounds good, but I have NEVER been able to get this to work reliably. Sometimes the channel comes on..... other times not. Sometimes the channel will be on and turn off during the sequence. It is never the the same song that it works/doesn't work on. Totally unreliable for me. I asked for this feature last year (almost to the day!!) see http://aurorashow.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=572

Carey

EDIT: I do have an off event at the very beginning of every sequence.

Edited by Comporder1 - 06 Dec 2009 at 9:49pm
 Post Reply Post Reply