Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Aurora Sequencer Software > Aurora 1.0 > Aurora 1.0.90 In DMX Mode
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Newb question about using videos in Aurora

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newb question about using videos in Aurora
    Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 6:27pm
Ok so here's the scoop: I will be adding a LED projector in my display this year. Knowing that Aurora doesn't like MP3's too much, I figure it must be the same in using video files instead of wavs.

Question is: What is the maximum resolution, best quality and file format does Aurora like?

What I really want to know is which file format with max resolution of 800x600 which won't require a nuclear powered CPU to run Aurora without causing any problems?

Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 8:03pm
Use .AVI files.  Aurora will convert anything else into an AVI anyway.  I've noticed that some .WMV's will work while others won't.  The movies shouldn't cause any lag.  I run off of an old Vista laptop with no issues, but if your system does lag, you can always change the frame offset so that the timing will remain correct.
~Jonathan
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 8:12am
Avi is a format but what codec should I use? H264, mpg4 or Microsoft Video 1?

LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2013 at 12:24pm
You are correct that AVI is just a container that can contain many different formats within itself.

The best format to use is an "uncompressed" type AVI at the same resolution as your projector.  The files size for uncompressed AVI will be huge.  We're aware of this and are addressing it in the upcoming version (which will have a different native format).  Alternatively, many have reported that WMV files work well for them, but be aware that Aurora is just going to convert it to uncompressed AVI behind the scene anyway so you may as well stick with the uncompressed AVI. 

You should avoid MOV and MPG (MPEG1/MPEG2) encoded formats since Aurora has known issues with those on Vista and beyond.  Microsoft Video 1 is an ancient very lossy codec and should be avoided.  I can't say one way or the other regarding MP4 or H264.

The only other catch to watch out for is that filter plugins for some older versions of Windows Movie Maker (.ax files) can interfere with Aurora's video playback.  It is rare, but a few have been known to misbehave and wind up inserted into Aurora's filter graph and refuse to go away.  If you use an older WMM for editing then you might want to consider keeping your show PC separate from your video edit PC.

Michael
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2013 at 9:32am
Hi Michael,
Any idea when the next version will be out? As of today, we're about 160 days from Christmas and I am sure many of us will begin to sequence for the upcoming shows, Halloween being the first. We have just past the halfway point of July so just wondering if we are still on track to see the version 2.0 yet.

Thanks. Wouldn't want to start sequencing videos only to see the new version popup shortly after and having to start all over again.

Post Reply Post Reply