Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Some music not playing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
garrisonl View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote garrisonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some music not playing
    Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 7:48am
Hi Everybody:
Not sure yet where to post what on this forum.  Got used to the folks on D-Light.  so I will start here.
I have been moving my spectrum files to Aurora.  For some reason some of the music is not playing.  Only a select few pieces of music.  They play fine on the computer and in spectrum, but when I do the playback in aurora, there is lights but no sound.
Anyone have any ideas as to what I need to do?  Other than trying to learn the software and starting over. My Halloween show is finished and only a few songs left for christmas.
Mark & Lisa Garrison
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 8:01am
are they all Wav or mp3?
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
garrisonl View Drop Down

Quote garrisonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 8:07am
A little of both.  Star Wars is wav and rock a around the christmas tree is mp3
Mark & Lisa Garrison
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 9:33am
Originally posted by garrisonl

A little of both.  Star Wars is wav and rock a around the christmas tree is mp3

Is there a correlation between the two, or is this happening with some wav and some mp3 based sequences?  Either way, it could be the sample/bit rates in the audio files.  Open their file properties and see if these are consistent or all over the place.  There have been past issues with some bit rates in both D-Light and LOR, so Aurora may not be immune.

As a rule, I always convert everything to wav format for my own piece of mind.
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 9:48am
Just a little bit of trivia...

Aurora converts everything to WAV (16-bit 44.1kHz stereo) internally anyway to get around the various VBR timing issues, so there is not any real benefit to using MP3 files.  There have been some cases in which the converter we are using isn't properly doing the conversion (we are looking into it).  For example, one user discovered that Aurora can not read 24 bit files.  These unusual formats tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 10:17am
Originally posted by LightsOnLogan

Aurora converts everything to WAV (16-bit 44.1kHz stereo) internally

Brings up an question...  Is the original audio file still necessary after Aurora has converted the file and placed it in the Cache folder (and given it that really "code-like" name)?  I suppose the same question could apply to the cached video file as well.  I'm just trying to get a grasp on how Aurora operates.  i.e.: I notice that when I base a sequence on a video file, Aurora creates a uncompressed RGB/PCM cached video file (read VERY large) as well as a wav file of the audio.  Do I have this correct?  Can I convert the audio and/or video files myself and place them in the Cache folder, or should I just let Aurora "do it's thing".

There have been some cases in which the converter we are using isn't properly doing the conversion (we are looking into it).  For example, one user discovered that Aurora can not read 24 bit files.  These unusual formats tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

So converting all audio files to standard wav format would be the most dependable approach then?
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 10:26am
If you edit the audio file Aurora will detect this as a change to the file and will want to re-import it.  You shouldn't manipulate the cache folder manually as it could cause some interesting problems.  The only exception is if you have a corrupted file in the cache... you can delete it and Aurora will rebuild it on the next file/open that requires it.

Yes, the raw video format is very large... unfortunately this was necessary for some futrure features we have planned for down the road (such as showing scene change markers on the sequencer timeline).  Fortunately hard drives are very cheap these days compared to most of the hardware that goes into a display.

Edited by LightsOnLogan - 03 Sep 2008 at 10:28am
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 10:32am
Also you may want to try to change play back configurations. That solved one issue I was having.

goto settings > playback > and then change the bottom option to directshow instead of the MSDXM option.

Hope that helps.

Slink

Coming soon www.computerizedlights.com

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 10:47am

The only exception is if you have a corrupted file in the cache... you can delete it and Aurora will rebuild it on the next file/open that requires it.

That's a good tip to know.  Thanks!

Fortunately hard drives are very cheap these days compared to most of the hardware that goes into a display.

Sorry for Stealing the thread...

I'm planning on using video extensively.  Is there a way to have the Cache folder reside on another drive, rather than the system drive?  I can see things getting full pretty fast at about 1GB per minute of video. Shocked

Edited by tonyjmartin - 03 Sep 2008 at 10:52am
garrisonl View Drop Down

Quote garrisonl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2008 at 11:03am
Thanks guys.  It seems I have already given up.  At least for today. Don't understand some of the computer lingo you guys are speaking of.  Now if you want to talk about debits and credits I can hang with the best of you.  Some of the music in the aurora is doing strange things.  Like the lights start before the music or the music just doesn't work.  I will keep tinkering with with it until it makes me mad.  Which today it has.  so I will go do a tax return and start from scratch on the music.  The only other question I have, is there a way to change the format on a completed Spectrum sequence without having to redo the whole song?  I'm finding most of the problems are the mp3's and that's mostly what I have.
Thanks for all the help,
Lisa
Mark & Lisa Garrison
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>