Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

2010 Aurora Status / DMX beta

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
onewish1 View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote onewish1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 6:25pm
thanks will do that now
Comporder1 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 7:43am
So what dmx adapter does the dmx version use?
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 11:32am
The DMX version has been tested with an ordinary low cost D-Light USB-485 v3 adapter (plus an easy to make D-Light to XLR adapter [or Lynx or whatever] cable).  Alternatively, Aurora DMX should also work with an Entec OpenDMX USB adapter (the chipset is similar and uses the same D2XX driver). 
Comporder1 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 9:03am
So the Lynx adapter will not work? Only D2xx driver devices?
MrChristmas2000 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote MrChristmas2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 12:18pm
It's interesting that the d-light (USB to RS-485) adapter and the Lynx DMX dongle uses the same driver set from http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm.

Judging by that the LYNX DMX dongle 'should' work in the place of the d-light unit.

Tom

Holding breath for DMX.
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 1:04pm
Aurora DMX uses D2XX with the D-Light adapter and not the VCP driver (D2XX is installed with the Aurora DMX beta).  If the Lynx adapter is a software-driven dongle and uses the FTDI chipset then D2XX should connect to it just fine.  However, if it is a "smart" dongle, then it requires commands in an intermediate protocol (not pure DMX) to compensate for the COM restrictions of VCP (VCP is limited to 115,200 when DMX is 250,000). 

Aurora sends pure DMX frames via D2XX at 250,000.  If your device is based on the FTDI chipset and takes pure DMX frames then it will probably work.  If it requires an intermediate "smart" (proprietary) protocol to function then it will not.

dowdybrown View Drop Down

Quote dowdybrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2010 at 9:30pm
The Lynx dongle is a "smart" adapter and uses the VCP driver, so it will not work.

Matt
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2010 at 11:25am
If anyone wants to write a third party Lynx plugin then I can provide the Aurora APIs to do so.  Contact me via private message.

The preferred route right now is of course the D-Light adapter.
wkawyn View Drop Down

Quote wkawyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2010 at 11:26pm
Just like to know who i contact about the dmx beta software. I plan to try dmx laser this year i for my Christmas show. I'm one the few people who bought the the Aurora software last year and i like the software. Thank you and Good Luck for 2011.!!!!

Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2010 at 1:35pm
You'll want to PM LightOnLogan.
~Jonathan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>