Aurora Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Aurora Sequencer Software > Aurora & DMX
  Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DMX is almost here!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Poll Question: Are you planning to use DMX with Aurora this year?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
22 [44.90%]
27 [55.10%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ChrisL1976 View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 9:08am
Originally posted by tonyjmartin

So many promises in this thread ($54 Ethernet/DMX adapter, hardware utility for D-Light within Aurora, etc.) 

Yeah, no other company with much deeper pockets has ever in the history of hardware for this hobby has ever done that....Oh wait
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com
tonyjmartin View Drop Down

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 9:19am
Originally posted by ChrisL1976

Yeah, no other company with much deeper pockets has ever in the history of hardware for this hobby has ever done that....Oh wait

Pointing to the shortcomings of others is not a valid excuse for our own.

Edited by tonyjmartin - 10 Jul 2011 at 9:53am
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 12:21pm
I'm just pointing out a trend that is not only in this hobby, but pretty much most technological based industries these days.  Times are tough these days for everyone if you have not noticed.

Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by ChrisL1976

I'm just pointing out a trend that is not only in this hobby, but pretty much most technological based industries these days.  Times are tough these days for everyone if you have not noticed.

Yes, I have noticed, thank you.  But once again, pointing to the shortcomings of others, or an industry in general, is not a valid excuse for our own.  You seem to be painting with a very broad brush in an attempt to excuse a one company's specific choices and dismiss customer dissatisfaction, all the while directing the discussion away from the topic at hand.

Chris, you are doing exactly what you have criticized others for doing in defense of other vendors.  If you wish to emerge from this with your credibility intact, I suggest that you reconsider your defense of a vendor because its new direction happens to coincide with yours.
Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote ChrisL1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 4:44pm
Coincides with my own?....it coincides with the direction this hobby is going. I just happen to like this particular trend.  This is the direction of EVERY SINGLE Software developer.....LSP, Aurora, LOR, VIXEN, Prancer...ECT ECT.....Its E1.31/DMX, RGB  based,  mass channel count sequencing and support.  You show me a single vendor is not working towards that goal?   If a  software does not support what the people want, they will go elsewhere and get it.  

I'm sorry if this direction the hobby is traveling does not coincide with your own and that the growing pains it requires are causing you issue, but its just the way it is.

My guess, like anything else in any market place, Aurora has NO choice but to follow the trends or fall by the wayside.  If I was buying a software, I would want it to support everything whether I am going to use it or not right away. So RGB support, mass channel count and DMX is required.  Unfortunately, the newbies are the ones buying the software and paying for development which for this.  I am sure the economy is not sending 10-15 new Aurora user a month like it may have in previous years.  

Edited by ChrisL1976 - 10 Jul 2011 at 4:45pm
Chris

www.lightsonsixth.com

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2011 at 8:56pm
I never said that Aurora should not pursue the inclusion of DMX related protocols in its development efforts.  I simply disagree with the decision to stop supporting an existing group of D-Light customers, especially after they have been waiting for quite some time in anticipation of the software's promised fixes.

As I said before, I would prefer that this be in addition to, not in lieu of, existing customers.

Edited by tonyjmartin - 10 Jul 2011 at 9:21pm
BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:42am
I second that. Supporters of this software since 2007, I think we deserve to be not forgotten. Just my 2 cents.

dynawg View Drop Down

Quote dynawg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 12:31pm
And add my third.  
brunnesa View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote brunnesa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 2:19pm
Ok, I am willing to convert all 22 of my controllers to DMX firmware. I am also willing to by a E1.31 adapter. BEFORE I do all of this work, I want a 100% for sure that the software will be ready. That is alot of work to have to redo, if Aurora is not ready.

Quote tonyjmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:44am
Originally posted by brunnesa

Ok, I am willing to convert all 22 of my controllers to DMX firmware. I am also willing to by a E1.31 adapter. BEFORE I do all of this work, I want a 100% for sure that the software will be ready. That is alot of work to have to redo, if Aurora is not ready.

In this thread related to 2010 season plans, Aurora stated that it would support DMX by July 2010 "guaranteed".  And in this thread shortly thereafter, Aurora stated that D-Light/LOR proprietary protocol support would return in v2.0.  I could go on finding these kind of links, both here and elsewhere, scattered over the last two years.  But you need to feel comfortable with your own decision as to whether or not you can depend upon Aurora for your 2011 decorating plans, given this release history.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>