Aurora Freeware Edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 1:15pm
Well I have been using Aurora for 3 years (maybe 4) still works just as well as it did the day I bought it.  Still hasn't crashed and as always I can leave the house and not worry bout the show.
Free or paid w/e. I hate seeing the company fold but understand that this is a very small market and only a few of us are even crazy enuff do to this. Most think mr. christmas from Home Depot is animating their lights. Sad but true.
I sincerly thank you for all you have done to make my holidays less stressful.

Cheers

Slink

Coming soon www.computerizedlights.com
TheQueb View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote TheQueb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2010 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by LightsOnLogan

Queb,
You will not need DMX fixtures to take advantage of DMX... the hardware vendors have been gradually opening up their hardware to DMX firmware.  The DIY crowd has done a great deal to push things in this direction.  All this means is that you will use your same hardware (an ACx16 for instance), but drive it with the DMX protocol instead of the D-Light protocol. 
See? lol. That's how much I {don't} know about DMX

The only reason that I might venture to another vendor would be for more RGB features like the ones in the video for Light Show Pro but that would mean I needed to jump deeper into RGB fixtures, lights, etc...

Edited by TheQueb - 13 May 2010 at 9:59pm
80 D-Light-ful Channels
Southeast Texas Lights
D-Light Users
breakbenj View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote breakbenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2010 at 5:34am
So we will still get a 1.1 version with the full help file soon right?
Jeff

BigDPS View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote BigDPS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2010 at 6:30pm
I have almost the same feeling as baelinc on this one. Having gone through all the ups and downs, it is a shocker to see the newbies will get the program for free. I understand these are hard times but they are hard for everybody. I really don't know what to think. I am lost for words on that one.

DisZip View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote DisZip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 11:20am
I don't seem to have much luck picking Christmas light software. I started by purchasing Spectrum, which shortly after was dropped by D-Light as a product and switched to Aurora (at D-Lights suggestion). Now Aurora is no longer commercial software (and therefore less supported), I am not sure if I should switch to a third product or not?
LightChristmas View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote LightChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 8:34am
Just my devaluated 2 cents.

Have been with Aurora from Day One. It does what I need it to do with the least possible processing power and the fewest hiccups. There is no tiered pricing (ie crippleware) to hinder any future expansion(s), and as far as tech support, thats what this message board is here for primarily. By using the 'Search' function, you can find resolutions for just about any problem you will encounter. For the unique problems, we'll thats what we're here for.Smile

It's all Bush's fault!LOL

LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 9:37am
Aurora will once again be a commercial product once we resume developing version 2.

Presently though, I found us having $70 in the bank, absolutely no sales, and very very little sales potential.  Moving Aurora to freeware for the time being so I can give more time to other projects was essential.  I fully expect that we'll recover from our cash issues and the market will pick back up.  When that happens, then we'll talk about re-commercializing Aurora.

We could have looked at the balance sheet last October and dropped all 1.x fixes and 1.x DMX promises and just said no updates would happen until v2 (since that is where the $$ were at).  Instead, we took a risk in favor of the customer by focusing only on the promises we had already made combined with dramatic expense cutting with hope on the optimistic side of our sales projections.  That risk failed when the sales didn't come through.  We're now in purely survival mode... but we do have a plan to return.  In the meantime, we're being honest with new customers on the level of support this year.  Existing paid customers can still expect the same support here as they always have, but with slower updates to the software (which has been the case for a year now anyway).  It is as simple as that.

dowdybrown View Drop Down

Quote dowdybrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2010 at 12:28pm
Since Aurora is now freeware, it might be good to remove the ability to order it from the main page.

Matt
Tassleholf View Drop Down

Quote Tassleholf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 6:26pm

After suffering computer problems I had to install Aurora again, having paid for it a few years ago I see now it is freeware so i am guessing I can just use the freeware unlock code instead of trying to get the guys to issue mine to me.

Don't you just hate it when you lose your HDD's ( all my sequences and my backup cd's got lost when the wife left me and we went our seperate ways ( i still think she took them to P*** me off ))   Angry
LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2010 at 6:56pm
Yes, you can use the freeware key. Smile

Michael
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>