DMX Lynx vs ACx16

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 1:04pm
Not currently writing the code but if I know me (and I do) I will be soon.

Coming soon www.computerizedlights.com
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 1:11pm
PM sent
Comporder1 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 10:12am
I plan on also jumping on board with the PIC programming. Does anyone have anything going yet? What language is everyone using? Does anyone have the LE program (not hex)? I would like to try to port that over to the ACx16! It should be do-able.
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 11:47am
The only thing available for the LE is the hex.  The Renard DMX code is available, but it's for a different PIC.  Hopefully it's just timings and I/O remapping...
Bigindian View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Bigindian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 4:53pm
Here is what I do to read the hex files

Just download MPLAB !!!

- View\Program Memory
- File \Import

Choose the "Machine" or "Symbolic" Tab, at the left Bottom of the window ...

BUT:

- Labels and aliases can't be displayed ( not stored by the Hex File ) ... so, it's difficult to add lines without a GOTO-GOTO jumper; lines removed must be replaced by a NOP or equ.

DO NOT CHANGE THE LINE NUMBERS !!! without exactly knowing what you are doing ...

Only real interest is to translate strings, or add a part ( or 2 , or 3 ) of program at the end of the listing.

to save : right click, and " save as " progmod.txt " ...

Edited by Bigindian - 26 Mar 2010 at 4:54pm
The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
Albert Einstein
RJ View Drop Down

Quote RJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 7:13pm
1st  -  Not nice to steal code from others that do not offer it (illegal under copyright laws also).
2nd  - since the LE uses a 16 bit pic not a 8 bit like this unit, uses lots of memory not avaliable on this chip for the LNT, is complete menu driven which this unit does not have the display and inputs for it,  it would be kind of difficult to make it work.

RJ
Comporder1 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by RJ

1st  -  Not nice to steal code from others that do not offer it (illegal under copyright laws also).
2nd  - since the LE uses a 16 bit pic not a 8 bit like this unit, uses lots of memory not avaliable on this chip for the LNT, is complete menu driven which this unit does not have the display and inputs for it,  it would be kind of difficult to make it work.

RJ

RJ,

Oooo.... Ouch! It was never my intention to steal anything from you RJ. Honestly, I never really thought about that. I guess being a DIY organization, I just assumed that your were also open source. I should have done my research first. (I guess I could have just asked you Embarrassed)

From everything that I have read that you have written, you seem to have the fellow DIY user's best interest in mind. I mean, you don't even have a "store" to sell your stuff! I understand that the program is your property if you choose for it to be, but I could see it benefiting the community for it to run on the ACx16 as well. I own 13 ACx16's that could benefit from a better firmware. (I just recieved 2 LE's too!)

RE: hardware limitations. I had not even looked into the differences in the microcontrollers, other than the part #, when I posted above. After researching further, I can see the limitations that the ACx16 PIC would have. But maybe a scaled down version could work? Like only one curve per entire unit rather than a per channel basis.

You will be happy to know that I have not even started on the project and will not pursue it any further without your permission.

Please accept my apology,
Carey
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 1:36pm
I don't want to speak for RJ, but I think he's referring to disassembling his hex files. 

Personally, I think it would be a couple orders of magnitude easier to use publicly available code to get the gist of how a controller works, and use that as a starting point to adapting it to the ACx16 controller.  Trying to reverse engineer a hex file, ugh... ethical considerations aside, I'd rather have an argument with a brick wall.  :)
Bigindian View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Bigindian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 4:15pm
RJ,

I have to apologize too.  It was not my intention to take anything that was not mine either.  As far as the "RE factor",  my intention for me was to see how to impliment DMX on a PIC microprocessor and not to borrow or utilize anything. 

From my light reading, the 18F series of PICs is mostly a different animal from the 24 series.  Other than the DMX info that is freely available on the microchip.com forum.

Sorry to have offended you.  I can't speak for anyone else only to say that my intention was to learn from what you had done to benefit others in this hobby.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
Albert Einstein
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 4:25pm
Yeah I agree with dewey on this. I have never planned to use RJ's as I know they won't work. But I do want to see what they use, I have never tried any of this so a lot looks at all kinds of peoples work is going to be needed I am sure.
From my limited opps programming everything is kinda "Borrowed" anyways so TBH I don't know the proper procedures. I guess thats part of my learning too.

Cheers and good times no one is intentionally trying to do anything wrong to anyone. We are all of 3000 folks in the world that actually do this, we all know one another and all pretty much interact with on another either here or various other sites. I knida assumed it would be a medaley of all of our ideas and thoughts when ity is all said and done.

Coming soon www.computerizedlights.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>