Active Topics Active Topics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

DMX Lynx vs ACx16

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Pony_God View Drop Down

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pony_God Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 9:04am
Mr. RJ, thanks for dropping by and you deffinately have clearly stated pretty much everything that I've been wondering. I did see the Wiki, but not knowing that it's software based instead of hardware based control, I though that there was a lot of information missing and without knowing what an SSR is (and still have no idea what it stands for) it all made less clear.
I think that the "2010 Lone Star Holiday DIY Workshop" document "Controller Feature Comparison" compared the options available quite nicely. Although I think that if it had a section for featureset and if it informed me of h/w vs s/w, then that would have made things even clearer.
I suppose that the price difference is the same idea as "Animated Lighting" vs Lor/D-Light, just how much do you want to pay the company for support/warrentee/etc.

So if there is no for-profit company, who designed built the boards? Who builds the firmware and maintains it? Do you not want paied for your time and effort?

Well, now, see, I suppose I have to get on the DMX bus now? I think I'll wait until Aurora has DMX out and an adapter before buying some Expresses though.

RJ, again, thank you.
Fine. You're so smart you rig up the lights.
D-Light users Unite!
RJ View Drop Down

Quote RJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 1:23pm
Well first and foremost,  A SSR is a "Solid State Relay" that is the part of a controller that switches the high voltage. Then is the controller part which tells it when to do it. In LOR, Expresses and D-lights they are one in the same in that all of it is on the same board.

So I do not get you turned around all DMX equipment knows nothing about fades twinkles ect. They only go to the level they were told to go to, in a way they are dumber devices but do to the speed and compatibilty of DMX they have their benifits.

DIY as a whole is about giving and getting so we do it because we can and it helps. I design the pcbs for the lynx line of equipment myself and write all the firmware. As much as we all like to make money it is about something bigger. See I like you, enjoy putting on christmas shows to bring joy to others. But I did not want to pay what the commerical stuff cost. I found the DIY communitity and started to build some stuff, having some abilities allowed me to create things more to my liking and do it cheap. Then when others wanted to do the same I shared and they did. Then I notice that I could make thousands and thousands of people happy by helping others afford to put shows on through sharing my stuff. I could never do that by just putting shows on.

I am not alone there is a large DIY community and normally it works the same way.

I hope this explains it somewhat for you.  

RJ
Comporder1 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 2:21pm
RJ, it's funny to see the title "Newbie" under your name on the left! HAhahah!! LOL

Maybe Micheal can grant you an honorary title.

(sorry for the thread highjack :) )
Rod R View Drop Down

Quote Rod R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2010 at 9:52pm
OK Guys and Gals, I just saw a post on the  DIY site and RJ just started up the second coop of 2010 for the 16 Channel Lynx Express.  I know a few members were wondering how to get them and found out a little too late after the coop was over. So head over to this link if your interested.  Like RJ said there are a lot of members willing to help out if people have questions concerning the Lynx controllers.

http://diylightanimation.com/index.php?topic=2767.0

Edited by Rod R - 01 Mar 2010 at 10:25pm
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 10:51am
That link worked one time, then I needed to sign in now I can't find the thread with the COOP. I was gonna order 2.

:(

Coming soon www.computerizedlights.com
Rod R View Drop Down

Quote Rod R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 11:07am
Its towards the bottom of the page under "Current Coops", click on that ant the top Coop listed title is "2nd Express Coop of 2010" is the one you want.  

You have to be a member to be in the Coops.  It only takes a minute to register and it doesn't cost anything. So if you wanted to get in on it I wouldn't let that hold you back.Embarrassed   

Edited by Rod R - 02 Mar 2010 at 11:10am
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2010 at 11:12am
nevermind I guess you have to do an intro before you can see anything on the forums.. I am in now.

LightsOnLogan View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote LightsOnLogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2010 at 6:12pm
News release at D-Light:

http://d-light.us/

http://d-light.us/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=91&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

D-Light now has the ACx16 Gold (no soldering required) for $95.50 (just under $6 per channel).  This "open edition" of the ACx16 controller lacks the standard D-Light firmware and instead is capable of running community supported DMX firmware.

Now all we need is for some PIC programmers to join the D-Light forums and to get the DMX firmware started! 

Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 11:44am
and what do you know - I am becoming a Pic programmer. I am currently doing for the Le's but the actual code is already code. I'll look into it see what it takes to work it for the D-Light Boards

Slink

deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 12:52pm
I am currently doing for the Le's but the actual code is already code

Do you mean you're flashing your PICs for your LEs or also writing code?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>