DMX and other features

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cstrang View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cstrang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DMX and other features
    Posted: 24 Jan 2010 at 10:28pm
I have commited to expanding my Xmas display with DMX controllers and it will be imperative for this funtion to be available soon.  I would really like to weather the times and stay with Aurora for my display, but I really need certain functionality to continue on this ship.  I was at this exact point 2 years ago when I jumped the spectrum/LSP ship over to Aurora.  Show scheduling has been almost flawless, but the sequencer needs some much needed refinements.  Some of these refinements were available to the "beta" testers and they used them for their shows in 2009.  The rest of us were left with broken promises.  When will the following be available?
  1. DMX-512 support (LYNX and LOR)
  2. Improved Copy&paste and clipboard C&P to allow intersequence C&P
  3. Less sequencing crashing, which improved but happens.
  4. Port output seems to need optimization (port captures show some improvements needed in this area).
  5. Channel grouping or tabbing (tabbing would be better)
  6. Timeline grouping/tabbing/color coding.

For the most part I have enjoyed using Aurora, since there was nothing better to use.  In the recent months there have been some contenders that have made their presence know.  I would love to keep my loyalty with Aurora, but features and functions are making it hard.   I would like to be patience and wait until September, but reality is we all need to work on our sequences way before then.  I would like to do a halloween show and waiting until September for an update would be unacceptable.  I know that Aurora staff was on vacation until the 21st, but should be back now.  When can we expect an update with all improvements?  say early February, at most March??? maybe?

I hope not to touch any "nerves" or "ruffle" many feathers, but I have to decide if I want to continue waiting for changes to materialize or if I should "jump ship" once again.  I hate jumping ship...

Ouch
Charles
Comporder1 View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Comporder1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 9:30am
I would like to echo this post.

I don't see myself jumping ship, but I still hope to see a new release SOONER, rather than later. The list above are really must haves to keep up with the times. I know Michael doesn't want to release a buggy product, but that may be the only way to force the progress of Aurora.

Carey
crichter View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote crichter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 9:40am
I am in the same boat and would request the same answers.  I am currently running a demo of LSP and find it to be much more stable.

I also heard that the DMX feature in Aurora will cost $$$.  If so how much?  Because at this point in time I am thinking that the little price difference between Aurora DMX upgrade and LSP will tip the scale in favor of LSP.

Curt
Curt
bdkeen View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote bdkeen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 10:30am
I too echo the sediments here. It's pretty much a given that DMX is in Aurora's future since we've seen it in some folks 2009 displays.  Plus the 'Coming Soon... DMX' still remains on the site web page. I personally like Aurora and wish to remain dedicated and loyal.

There appears to be a fair number of folks moving foward toward DMX. At least what about a product update status much the same as was done in the pre 1.0 days?
Jonathan View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 11:35am
Because this is common knowledge now I will say that yes, several members of the beta group ran DMX this last season (myself not included), but this was done via a "hack" that is not supported.  If every Aurora user were to run this hack, I guesstimate (just my opinion) maybe 75% would be successful and we all know that's just not good enough which is why it wasn't released.  I don't have answers to all the questions but I can tell you that an Aurora specific adapter will be required, release date and pricing TBD, but I'd expect the price Michael originally charged for the adapter will be similar or unchanged. 

I know that other products are already supporting DMX and that Aurora had plans to support is last year, but for reasons I can't divulge here it was necesary to delay releasing it.  I hate "just trust me" messages as much as you do, but you will have to trust me that this delay is necessary and it will result in a much better product.  Testing will commence very soon on the next version of Aurora, and it will include some exciting improvements, not just DMX.  The new Aurora (as planned) will much more advanced and as such requires significant code changes.  I am just as inpatient as the rest of you but remember that unlike Microsoft who has thousands of technicians and still releases buggy products, Aurora is written and maintained by one guy who also has to make a living himself. 

I am not Michael and I (nor do any of the other beta testers) have the inside information you are all hoping for.  But for those who absolutely cannot wait to run DMX, I'd suggest contacting Michael directly.  If you ask nicely, he MAY, keyword MAY, be inclined to let you try the same DMX hack that some of the beta testers successfully ran.  Understand that IF he chooses to let you do so, you must understand that as a hack, there is no support and if the hack doesn't work, you are on your own.  That means making a system backup, making seuqence backups, and doing a non traditional installation.  If you are up for that, then try asking.  The worst he'll say is no, but if you are, say, running a Valentines Day show and you need DMX, you may get it.

Otherwise, just stay tuned.  The new Aurora will be worth the wait. 
~Jonathan
deweycooter View Drop Down
Development
Development

Quote deweycooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 1:37pm
I had some DMX in my display this past Christmas using Aurora.  If you're watching the LE co-op, you might notice that I'm picking up some more controllers.  Hopefully that speaks for itself for what I think Aurora will be doing this year.

PS - don't mention anything about more controllers to my wife.
Bigindian View Drop Down
Beta Testers
Beta Testers

Quote Bigindian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 2:15pm
I got in for a few too. 

I am hoping to use 2 or 3 intelligent fixtures too.

Don't tell my wife... bigger and brighter for 2010

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
Albert Einstein
cstrang View Drop Down
Pre-Order User
Pre-Order User

Quote cstrang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 4:47pm
I'm in for 4 and made the mistake of not making my mind up on upping to 8.  You may tell my wife, she supports this hobby 100%....Big%20smile
Charles
dowdybrown View Drop Down

Quote dowdybrown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2010 at 5:34pm
I'm in for 6 LE boards. Plus I've got 6 existing LOR boards I'd like to run in DMX mode. Plus I need two DC boards (Lynx or LOR, haven't decided yet). Please, please, please support the Lynx dongle!

Honestly, paying for the next version of Aurora doesn't bother me if it helps get it out faster. However, LSP is my backup plan, and June is my personal deadline for deciding which software I'll use next Christmas.

Matt
Slinkard View Drop Down
DMX
DMX

Quote Slinkard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2010 at 9:57am
Where the heck is this co-op at? Am I missing it or what.

Coming soon www.computerizedlights.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>